Clinical Laboratory professionals Association (CLPA - INDIA) is a voluntary, nonprofit, non Governmental, professional association that conducts certification of laboratory professionals and other credential related activities deemed necessary to serve the patient and public needs. The aim of CLPA is to provide programs and services to each and everyone in the laboratory technology profession under one roof. CLPA Membership opens the door to information about the latest innovations in laboratory medicine through workshops, seminars, socially and medically useful projects, career opportunities etc.
CLPA always stand to radiate the goals like:
- Promoting the practice of laboratory techniques and laboratory medicine.
- Encouraging cooperation and collaboration from all branches of the diagnostic field.
- Motivating membership to grow professionally
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY / LABORATORY MEDICINE IN INDIA
In India, most of those engaged in medical laboratory Technology/ science are employed in public hospitals, research laboratories, veterinary laboratories, forensic science, bio pharmaceutical companies and private diagnostic Pathology laboratories. There are two levels of practice:
Medical Laboratory Technologists: are normally employed in diagnostic clinical laboratories, and they work in the field of laboratory medicine. They conduct medical laboratory tests and apply knowledge and methodology from various scientific disciplines to assist doctors in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of human disease. Duties involve determining the nature, cause and progress of disease through testing blood, body fluids and tissues in medical and pathology laboratories. Responsibilities include the quality and reliability of test results produced and may also include the responsibility for the interpretation of tests, administration and the development of test procedures.
- Medical Laboratory Technicians: perform or assist with laboratory tests on blood, body fluids and tissues in medical and pathology laboratories under the direction of medical laboratory Technologist and operate diagnostic and monitoring equipment used in support of health professionals. Disciplines of Medical Laboratory Science in India include: Histopathology; Immunology; Virology; Transfusion Science; Hematology; Cytology; Clinical Biochemistry and Medical Microbiology. An acceptable Laboratory technology degree should include full units (not part time units) of the following,
- Human anatomy
- Human physiology
- General microbiology
- General pathology
- Human molecular biology
Professional Subjects :
- Clinical biochemistry
- Transfusion science (immune hematology)
- Medical microbiology
- Immunology and Immunopathology
- Histopathology/diagnostic cytology (Immuno histochemistry)
In India, Also offer Masters level degree in Medical Laboratory Technology (MSc. MLT) with Specializations in Professional subjects.